Thursday, February 5, 2015

Leaving My Family

Day 29: Alliteration  

Birthdays and Batman

The birthday fairy visited our home yesterday to celebrate the birth of my favorite little man.  He requested bacon, eggs, and gold coins for dinner.  He also asked to play Lego Batman and totally made me feel completely inadequate as he guided me through each level with ease.  Because he is a generous little person, he let me play as Batman and I chuckled as the lego version of the dark knight followed behind Robin as we jumped platforms and built contraptions.  We told my son he could do anything he wanted with the family on his day, and he chose to play video games with his mom.  There are a lot of things that I am failing miserably at this phase in my life, but I think I am doing alright with raising this kid (the jury is still out on the other one).

Birthday Fairy visited 
Family Birthday Selfie 
 Traveling and Trusting

Today I am leaving Bakersfield for the Bay Area and will be gone for three full days.  My heart aches that I am leaving the hubs and kiddos behind.  Several people have inquired about the “plan” while I am traveling and I happily reported that turn-based games Carcassonne and Agricola have been added to our digital devices by the hubs.  After yapping on for a few moments, I realized that the intention of this question was not about my plan to keep up my gameplay while I travel.  So truth time, we don’t have a plan.  All we have is trust.  Well trust and a strategy that we will keep playing video games, even while we are apart, and that everything will be okay.  If you find that as you read that last line, you are shaking your head from side-to-side, just remember, it is technically none of your business, and you are being super judgy right now. 

RL Romance (so ominous)

It is a little over a week until Valentine’s Day and if you read this blog you know that subtly is not in my arsenal.  In case I forgot about the looming holiday, the 50 Shades trailer that shows on every Hulu show I watch reminds me in regular intervals (vomit).  I am thinking of re-posting my blog from last month about why it is great to send gear and not roses to your fellow gamer.  I am torn because maybe sometimes it is good to send the guy in your life flowers.  Not because consumer culture deems that you should, in fact we are told all women want jewelry and flowers by every commercial currently running on Hulu (FYI big ole lie).  So to challenge gender norms, to support small business, to have something pretty blooming in the house maybe I should send my husband roses.  But just so I am being totally clear, I fully expect and desire to receive gear in my Diablo 3 mailbox on Valentine’s Day.  I would also not object to a clean house in RL with that gear.

Wil Wheaton & other Blog Updates


As soon as I arrive back from my trip this weekend we will start playing Grim Fandango on the PS4.  The blog received a twitter challenge by another couple to defend the Ticket to Ride title and I will post the outcome soon.  The hubs is open to guest blogging again but I need to come up with some questions.  If the two people who read this blog have anything they want him to write about, please tweet or write in the comment section below.   

Most importantly, I have not heard anything new about Wil Wheaton coming to Bakersfield.  I went to mass yesterday and added Wil's visit to my silent intentions.  What did you do today to get Wil to B-town?  What should we be doing?  How can we make this happen?

3 comments:

  1. I think John should write his perspective of playing games with you. Does he "let" you win or is it til the death if you are playing against one another? What's his fantasy game? What would a game be like if you and he were the characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, lots of good questions. John pick a few and start your next guest blog.

      Delete