Thursday, January 15, 2015

Trade-In Underwear for Games

Day 9: Did I mention I hate shopping

Normally I would have been incredibly excited that my husband bought me fancy chonies for Christmas.  But since things have been rocky, I decided to return the unworn gift which FYI is super awkward.  I actually mailed the stuff back via UPS and wrote a letter to the company explaining why I didn’t want these garments.  Reading my note must have been as uncomfortable as writing it because against their normal policy they refunded the entire purchase. The point of the story is I am buying us a new game with underwear money from Christmas and percolating on what to purchase.

Choosing between Lore and Legends 

In an attempt at geeky romance this influx of unexpected monies is getting spent on my 100-day quest to save my marriage with games.  Three games I am considering with some pros and cons:

System: Tabletop
Developer: Hasbro

Pro: The only reason I want this game is because I am obsessed with all things Joss Whedon.  This game is also playable with the kiddos.

Con: Normally I would not feel compelled to own Yahtzee but I would play this and also prominently display it because it looks awesome.

Us with Tim Schaffer forever ago at E3. 

System: PS4
Developer: Double Fine 

Pro: Tim Schaffer.  Nuff said.
Me 2014 Dia De Los Muertos

Okay I am going to say a few other things.  This is also an adventure game rebooted that could be played while the kids are awake.  And I heart me some adventure games.  Plus its on the PS4 which is all shiny and new and we currently use more than anything else.  The artwork is amaze-balls and as you know I love all things day of the dead inspired. 
  

Con: It is not out today and I would love to buy something I can have in my greedy little hands yesterday.

System: Tabletop
Developer: Fantasy Flight Games 

Pro: Once upon a time there were two gamers who spent every Friday night playing magic or pokemon card games.  Card games were nice because unlike a PS4 they fit nicely in a clutch for a portable date night or gaming in nature. We also have other friends who play this game as a couple so we can ask questions.  I just finished reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy to the kiddos this summer so I love the lore.

Con:  I have read that there is a steep learning curve when starting this game.  It is a a better couples game and not a family game for people with young kids.  As we learned from Netrunner, small children like pretty cards and will likely not leave decks undisturbed.  
 


Would be great if anyone out there has other suggestions?  Please reply in the comments bellow and weigh in on what would be fun and why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment