Friday, February 6, 2015

Upgrade your phone, not your wife

Day 30: Hold me close, Text me far away

I want to preface this post by saying that I truly love my union thugs, and I feel energized by my time spent with fellow educators.  Today I have been inspired, well feed, and continue to enjoy the stormy Nor Cal weather.  But I miss the hubs, the kids, and my games.  We are playing turn-based games on our iPhones but it is not the same.  Equating turn-based mobile gaming to face-to-face games is like saying texting is the same as cuddling:  cuddling is so much better.  But when I can not be cuddling, I am happy to fill the time organizing with my fellow faculty from the CSU's. 


Post by California Faculty Association. aka where I am at today.

Is texting evil?

I love technology.  But one of the most important things I have learned is that nothing can replace being with people.  Learning, gaming, communicating, none of it is ever the same when it is fully digital.  I have learned and grown more during one shared meal with fellow educators than the combination of all of the online professional development trainings I have ever taken part in.  I think technology provides us amazing tools but tech is not a replacement for connections.  The more you love the people in your life, the truer this becomes.  Phones may be upgradable, but people are irreplaceable. 

Texting can facilitate breaking down barriers of what we are often afraid to say.  My college students text me questions about assignments and deadlines (so much faster than emails).  I think it’s a great triumph when a student who never speaks a word in class discussion feels comfortable texting me.  My son who is still learning to spell loves to text emojis.  Even my grandmother has become a texter.  So my argument is not that texting is bad, it is just that it is better to be present.  

Tip of the day: If you are downloading new games to play I recommend watching a tutorial before you play through an entire board game online.  It is easy to be lazy when playing online because the device will facilitate your moves within the guidelines and rules of the game.  Sadly, there is little joy, some petty joy but only a little, in winning a game when you have no idea how you did actually triumph.


I received two emails from folks who read the blog and are starting a letter writing campaign to get Wil Wheaton to come play board games in Bakersfield. Wil Wheaton needs to come to Bakersfield for our Extra Life gaming marathon, to play at Paladin Game Castle, or just to meet his most adorable little fanboy.

My grin after reading your emails

No comments:

Post a Comment