Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Centennial(100th) Blog Post dedicated to Wil Wheaton

Day 43: Decreased Visibility Due to Fog 

Showing up to Sing for my Kiddos

Last night was a hard night and it felt impossible to get out of my own head.  Like every night, my kiddos want me to sing to them before they went to sleep.  My daughter has been helping with chores, cooking, and nagging of her younger brother.  She helps so much it is like I see her growing before my eyes.  I almost didn’t sing but after mass, sparing, yoga, and board games I was able to get out of my head enough to show up for them.  I am not trying to say that being with my kids is too hard, it is everything else that creates a great fog in my brain.

The Bakersfield Fog

What if my brain is like Bakersfield; a great valley that suffocates those inside it because the pollution settles and cannot escape.  What if that pollution stops me from seeing them, seeing myself, breathing?  I am grateful that for at least one night that the fog didn’t keep me from singing. 

My daughter has an amazing teacher who introduced her to the Beatles and she has requested the song “Blackbird” the last few nights.  I feel her breathing slow as she leans in closer as I sing it in a whisper.  For me, Blackbird is a song that needs to be sung in a whisper and not belted out, as the words cradle my love around her.  And in this perfect moment I remember that when the dust settles after family board games and they are cuddled in my arms, they are still these innocent perfect little creatures. 

Wil Wheaton: My Kids Are Calling You Out

As promised in a previous post my kids made a video asking Wil Wheaton to come play board games in Bakersfield at Paladin's Game Castle.  


More than a fanboy plea this was more of a challenge by my son for Wheaton to play against him.  The part of this conversation that was not caught on camera is a question of Wheaton’s true identity.  My son is convinced Wheaton also plays Steve on Blues Clues.  He kept referring to Wheaton as "Steve" and he will not be deterred in this matter (from a six year old this is a huge compliment).  

Wil Wheaton Thumbs up MineCraft

Steve thumbs up Blue's Clue
My kids ground me and showing up for them is something worth striving for (hint hint Wil Wheaton).   I know when I describe the scary air quality in the B-twon visiting seems less desirable.  And coming to Bakersfield to play board games might not change the world but it would be super awesome and you would get a thumbs up from some adorable little kids. 





No comments:

Post a Comment