Thursday, January 14, 2010

When I Grow Up...

Day 35 

Inara goes to school at OLG (Our Lady of Guadalupe) and this week is vocation week.  Today she had to dress as what she wants to be when she grows up?  She told me and John that she wants to study the ocean and look for “Ariel, and flounder and Ursula…” but “marine biologist” has to many syllabuses for her to say correctly. John tried to teach her to say “Jacque Cousteau” to no avail.  For her costume we let her wear her “this is what a feminist looks like” shirt with her tulle Ariel mermaid skirt (close enough.) 

It was this morning that I realized something obvious:  John & I are officially grownups. 

THEN WE

Watched WWE and Buffy 

Played games

Ate chex mix

NOW WE

Watch Dollhouse, Yo Gabba Gabba and Supernatural

Play video games (when we are not stuck playing Barbies)

Eat whatever they sell at Costco (but more than one carb filled food group)

Life seems more complicated.  When I grew up I wanted to be a wife, mother and college graduate (done, done and done.)  It is all very surreal.  Some days I wake up and think that my kids are too cute to be mine and must belong to someone who is coming to claim them at any moment.  John is such a breathe of fresh air it as though we just met yesterday and are still in the honeymoon phase. 

After playing games last night with the kids all tucked in bed I realized: I am exactly where I wanted to be when I grew up.    But now I am craving some Chex mix in a bad way. 

1 comment:

  1. So since I am still in school does that mean I'm not a grown up? Which is totally ok by me, by most definition's being a grown up is pretty lame. Honestly I think the only thing that has changed on that list is that we have pretty much given up on wrestling. We still play games (duh) eat chex mix when its available, and lord knows you still watch buffy.

    I must say though school is a heck of a lot harder now than when i was in HS. Well except for my ED classes those are pretty much the same...

    ReplyDelete