Sunday, January 10, 2010

Achievement Whore

When we play games I am usually the muscle.  Basically I take all the major damage and fight the biggest nastiest thing.  Today our task required destroying turrets all of which my character pounded until they collapsed.  After all that agro I discovered that Xbox does not give me achievements when I play co-op with John?  John gets points but I do not.  Yes, I am signed in while we play. 

This is a lot like real life.  People often clash with my personality because I am the verbal muscle.  John is a very laid back person who rarely speaks up.  I am the person who tells stories, gets rid of telemarketers and asks forthright questions. 

This morning at breakfast my grandma tried to Jedi mind trick the waiter at Tina Marie’s to get her coffee for almost 10 minutes.  The moment he made eye contact with me for a millisecond I remarked that my grandmother was likely to “go crazy without a cup of coffee.”  My grandma blushed at my remark but she grinned ear to ear when they brought that cup.

I am an underappreciated co-op partner, breakfast partner and wife.  It is not fun always being the muscle but someone has got to do it.  I am not saying my social role is horrible but the perceptions that accompany being the pushy wife are not fun.  In video games I should at least get my achievement points but no.  Damn you Microsoft, for shame.  

Yesterday my sis and I took our kiddos for a day trip to Griffith Park Observatory.  John spent the day at the campus doing math proofs.  We all had dinner for my cousin Nicks birthday and we barely made it to our games. 

We played DS while watching IronMan.  After an hour of mini-games we feel asleep.  It was a relaxing prelude to gaming today.

We finally unlocked The Thing today. My next anticipated character is The Hulk. 

Inara woke up from her nap and found John & I playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.   She demanded that John use Spiderman.  Even though that was not the best choice for our level, she was adamant.  She also explained that we need The Hulk.  We thought she was just listing names of superheroes.  Then she got the box and pointed to the Hulk in case she thought we misunderstood.  

My 3-year-old daughter knows more about Marvel comics than I do.  Recent movies have bolstered my knowledge of characters like Daredevil considerably but I am nowhere near John expertise.   It is interesting to see what the future holds for our little Marvel protégé.

I am off to start another vampire book and retire to bed.   

2 comments:

  1. Hey You are totally Appericiated as the Muscle, I get to use all the fun Ranged Characters that aren't nearly as effective as good ol unstoppable Juggernaut. When I play by myself I usually end up Captain america or Wolverine or something, while they are fun, its nice to be able to sit back and shoot lightning bolts or throw scrap metal at people.

    I have trained our little one well, while she may be obsessed with ariel and other princesses she still knows who Her comic book mainstays are, It seems like spidey is her favorite though, a good choice for a youngen, he is just so much less broddy than most heroes nowadays.

    Anyways I've had a total blast playing Marvel with you lately its a great change of pace from the frentic action fest that is Bayonetta, oh and it is infinetly better than Math HW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly sure migraines are better than math.

    Also, you've made me wonder if this is some sort of spooky science fiction movie prophecy. "You need The Hulk. Mommy. You NEED The HULK!"

    ReplyDelete