Monday, March 16, 2015

Glitter vs Jem Part 3

Day 68: Dr. CCB is Totally Outrageous 

I love my gray hair and commentary from the internet did not make me hate myself and run to the nearest beauty parlor.  However, I made a decision after a frank conversation with my 8-year old who said “mom you should have your hair every color of the rainbow, you are super fun, and your hair should be fun too.” I am super fun and that conversation reminded me that I can do anything I want, and I want to have crazy hair.

The Dilemma

2nd Grader and her Lemur Advising on Color
The problem with finding a haircut and color that matches my personality is that I am not good at girl stuff.  Searching magazines, and pinterest for hairstyles is about as appealing to me as a colonoscopy, I would much rather be getting my exo-suit in Helldivers.  My first impulse was to trust my second grader to give me input, her idea remains to dye my hair the color of her favorite my little ponies, starting with powder blue for rainbow dash (yup my kid is awesome).  Second, I asked a friend with fun hair for advice and was immediately directed me to the Atomic Kitten salon. 

I went last week to meet with my stylist Cheryl and informed her I wanted crazy hair.  She asked for a length, color palette, or inspiration photo (I had none of these things).  Instead I told her to let her imagination run wild and that I would bring my 8-year old to help with direction (this woman is immeasurably patient).  Cheryl was up for the challenge, albeit a little concerned that I was unstable and might weep if she made me look too much like a fictional pony.

The Moment
Buffy Season 6 Before Cut 
Buffy Season 6 After Haircut 
 There were several phases of my hair creation and not all were pretty.  Within the first 10 minutes I knew Cheryl was an artist with a vision that understood me.  She started by unceremoniously chopping of my hair, the first blunt cut was meant to simplify the coloring process.  But as I waited for her to mix my color I almost wept because my hair style matched Buffy’s hair transformation in the season 6 episode “Gone” that had initially inspired me to cut off my hair many years ago.  We had discussed cutting my hair even shorter but as soon as I saw this first cut I knew this was the right length, the right moment, and the perfect stylist for me.

My Blue Period

I have entered the blue phase of my life as hand-selected by Cheryl my stylist and my visionary little daughter.  My hair is different but I still feel like me.


Inara (the second grader) is already plotting my next color scheme.  Look out world because a video game playing, crazy colored Jem hair, yoga practicing mom is on a rampage and she is going to blog about it. 
Dr. CCB before Jem Hair March 2015
Dr. CCB with Rainbow Dash/ Jem Inspired Hair March 2015

1 comment:

  1. First off the Hair is awesome! I'm so glad you did it, I will miss your long hair but hey it's not my hair right :) I'm so glad you made time to stop by and see me before you left on your Mommy trip :) I'm also stoked you got an awesome hairdresser if you keep this up you might be able to have a collection of colors and hair styles that rivals Mema. I love you and miss you but the kids will not give me a second lol.

    ReplyDelete