Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gears of War 2 & Lent

Day 60

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and Inara, Nathan and I attended mass to get our foreheads smeared with holy dust (or just soot depending on who you ask.)   Saint Joseph’s parish was draped in purple and it made me feel like it is truly almost spring.  To keep in the day’s spirit of ash and dust John and I began a new game Gears of War 2.  Gears of War is crass, cinematic and beautiful all at the same time: kind of like me. 

It is strange that we found a new game on the first day of lent.  The irony that we are playing a game that takes place in a wasteland during the sacred days that Jesus walked the dessert are not lost on me. 

Usually I dread lent. It is a season about sacrifice and who likes that?  This year I am seeing the season in a new light.  It is the last 40 required days gaming with my husband. If I had not been raised a catholic I may not have thought to put a counter on our endeavor.

I do not think people should disclose what they are “giving up” or doing for God during lent.  But I am excited to report that John is making a Lenten commitment that forsakes his strict “catholic by association” claims. 

This Lenten season is geared to be different than any predecessor.  One vow I am happy to keep is not returning to Gamestop for a few weeks to try yet another game. 

1 comment:

  1. You are my most favorite, "Crass" yet "cinematic" person in the world! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete