Sunday, March 1, 2015

Glitter vs Jem Part 2


Day 53: Should I cut and color my gray hair part 2?

My next few blog posts will break from reflecting on married gaming.  Instead, I am soliciting input from my readers about my hair quandary.  I will tell the story of my own hair journey and ask for input and advice on whether I should cut off my long glittery/silver locks and dye my hair an outrageous color? 

All natural waves and gray

Flat ironed rogue strip
PRO GRAY HAIR: Rogue and Real Hair

Thanks to genetics, I started going gray when I was in my late teens and I used to color my hair every month because that is what you do.  But in 2012 I started my doctoral program and to cut family expenses I decided to forego my one beauty treatment.  The 80 dollars cost converts to a new video game a month and it was easier to stop than you would imagine.  I was pleased when a defined streak of gray appeared that looked much like Rogue from X-men.  Over the last 3 years I get regular commentary on my hair from men and women of all ages.  People either hate or love my gray hair.

In 2013 I was in a Vespa collision that shattered my left wrist and forearm.  After surgery and subsequent recovery I could not wash or style my own hair.  I was forced to accept the natural waves and frizz that can be tamed with a few spritzes introduced by my mother-in-law.  With only one working hand I still maintained a 4.0 GPA in my doctoral program and fully embraced my natural hair color and wave. 

Fast-forward to now.  I am conflicted between keeping my God-given glitter or going for a Jem-style? In some small measure I want to feel sexy, and trendy, and truly outrageous.  The superficial voice has been long over-ruled by my own strong sense of self that thinks I do not have to buy into social norms of feminine beauty.  A major change on the outside will not make me a better or different gamer, professor, wife, or person.

PRO GEM HAIR: Grandma’s Greatest Regret


I have been surprised that so many people in real life are critical of my gray, but online there have been very few people that advocate for a hair change.

Unlike the hubs who loves to spend money and crazy spoils our kiddos I am a frugal person.  I worry that my resistance to change is less of feminist principle and more related to my inability to be frivolous and fun when it comes to myself. Even if I change my hair I will never be a girly-girl, I would just be a gamer geek mom with a new haircut. 


The loudest opponent of my gray hair is my grandmother.  In her prime my grandmother had at least 5 different color beehives, a large collection of hair extensions, and infamously hid from my grandfather that she was not a real redhead until after their marriage.  She recently shared that one of her greatest regrets was never having platinum blonde hair. I hate to be seventy years old and sharing with her same the regret.

But then again maybe I will wish I spent more money on yoga and beer and less on hair color. 

2 comments:

  1. Why not try on wigs with different colors and styles? See how you feel with each one. Nothing on the outside will change who you are but may enhance what you have which in turn makes you feel good. There is no sin in that. And your practical/feminist card isn't taken away because you cut or color your hair. It doesn't have to be so black/white thinking. And so what if you want to be fun, sexy and trendy for a few moments. When you are Grandma's age or mine, you do those things that bring you joy and may not be entirely practical. ..but don't wait, do them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, the issue is how the gray looks. if it is scattered, I say dye it; however, I do like the idea of a strip of gray.

    ReplyDelete